All About Rental Car Upgrades
Renting a car is something that everyone has to do at one point or another and, if presented with the opportunity, most people would gladly accept a free car class upgrade to enhance the experience. The issue, of course, is that it isn't always easy to get an upgrade.Even though there are many legitimate ways to get discounted car rental upgrades (including renting a car in select countries
with Auto Europe!) there are also some things that you will want to be on the lookout for. Some companies will advertise free upgrades in an effort to get people in the door and then pull the rug out from underneath them. Even worse, sometimes that free upgrade will cost you additional money and put a damper on your vacation experience!
Here are some insider tips: things to look for which will help you spot and avoid this kind of thing:
- Mileage - The car that you reserved initially may have been chosen specifically because of the mileage that it gets. If you wanted an economy car and the upgrade you received is a gas-chugging sports car, you will end up paying everything you saved (and probably more) in fuel costs. Be wary of how mileage varies when given an upgrade and make sure that a high-end car will enhance your trip rather than cutting deep into your budget.
- Insurance - Sometimes a car rental upgrade will result in a higher insurance premium. This is an issue that you will want to be on the lookout for as well. Higher insurance isn't necessarily a horrible thing (you are driving a nicer car, after all), but these additional costs can add up over time. Also - if you choose to not purchase the insurance, the fact that you are driving around in a more expensive car to begin with can yield problems should you get into an accident.
- Driving difficulty - If you are used to driving a compact car, but are given the keys to a truck or SUV the additional space may sound good, but navigating tight streets in a new class of vehicle may pose some problems for you that you would not have run into otherwise.
- Awareness of location - Be aware of the location you are renting from and the types of vehicles that suppliers typically carry in that locale. This is the best way to ensure that you will end up with the vehicle you want (or a worthy upgrade if they do not have it).
Getting a Free Car Class Upgrade
When you are traveling, you want to have the most comfort possible without breaking your bank. Hey, that makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't you treat yourself to enjoy your trip to the fullest? The challenge which many travelers face comes down to cost. Rental cars, and the upgrades that typically come along with them, can cost a lot of money if booked with the wrong company. This, in many cases, can dissuade people from attempting to utilize a car.There are, however, some ways to score free travel upgrades which can give you all the luxury and comfort you want at a price which will make your wallet stand up and cheer. As always, we're happy to share useful travel tips
to help make your trip a success.
Here are some of the easiest ways to get a free car class upgrade and save big on your car rental:
- Location, location, location - The location where you choose to rent your vehicle is going to play a huge role in the likelihood of you getting a free upgrade and will also play a role in the quality of that upgrade. If you choose to rent your car from a popular location, you will be more likely to get the upgrade. Most travelers are not going to go for the higher class vehicles and, should the supplier not have the compact or economy car that you chose for your reservation, the supplier will be much more likely to give you a free upgrade to keep you satisfied.
- Country - Depending on your destination and what the local rental car suppliers offer there, you may wind up getting an upgrade simply for renting in a specific place. Some companies will provide you with an upgrade for renting in the United States or Canada and Auto Europe is pleased to offer fabulous free upgrades for renting a car in some of the most popular countries in Europe. It pays to look into this prior to planning your trip. It may even have an effect on your choice of locations!
- New customer - Some car rental companies will periodically be willing to provide free upgrades to customers renting with them for the first time. This is something which cannot be relied upon for all companies, so it is wise to call and ask whether Auto Europe or your company of choice offers any of these promotional offers.
- Reservation - If the car you've reserved is not at the location when you arrive, this is often one of the easiest ways to get a free car rental upgrade. With that being said, this is not something that you can count on, but it's a great surprise when it happens! There's nothing quite like paying for a Fiat and driving off the lot in a Mercedes Benz.
- Talk to the Supplier - Don't like the color? Don't like the style? Don't like the way it drives? See a dent in the vehicle? Inside not as clean as you would like? Bring one or more of these things up before you put your name on the dotted line at the car rental counter and the supplier may offer you an attractive alternative. Remember - you can always call Auto Europe from the pick-up location and our team will work to find you a better deal if you're unsatisfied.
While it may seem fairly difficult to get an upgrade on your vehicle, in truth it is not - especially when you rent a car with Auto Europe
. Landing a free car rental upgrade
and driving off the lot in the car of your dreams is a great way to start your vacation and at Auto Europe we're all about customer satisfaction and making your trip the best it can be. While you won't find car rental upgrades everywhere, you can call our team of travel experts toll-free from anywhere in the world at 1-888-223-5555 and we'll be happy to find you the best deal and upgrade your rental car experience.