Auto Europe

  • Contact Our Reservation Specialists


    Car Rentals Worldwide
    Alamo Rental Car
    Avis Car Rental
    Budget Rental Car
    Dollar Car Rental
    National Car Rental
    Sixt Rent a Car
    Car Rentals Worldwide

    International Driving Permits

    International Driving Permit

    You've got questions; we've got answers. As car rental specialists with over 60 years of experience assisting drivers around the world we know all there is to know about how to safely and legally drive in a foreign country.

    Countries that Require Americans to Obtain an IDP to Drive Overseas

    International Driving Permits are Required* in the following countries for US Licensed Drivers: Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, and Thailand.

    In Hungary, US-licensed drivers are required to possess a certified Hungarian translation of their domestic license. An international driving permit does serve as a certified Hungarian translation and is likely the easiest certified translation to obtain; just be sure you get one before you leave the United States for your trip.

    *IDP enforcement may vary based upon car rental supplier as well as renting country.

    International Driving Permit FAQs

    Please take a moment to browse our most frequently asked questions regarding international driving permits. If you do not find an answer to you question, give us a call at 1-888-223-5555 or contact us today!


    What is an International Driving Permit?

    An international driving permit (IDP) is a translated document presented in several languages, that acts as a supplement to your domestic driver's license, allowing you to drive legally in a number of international destinations. The international driver's permit is only mandatory in some countries, but it's highly recommended to have one at all times when traveling outside of your home country. This document (sometimes referred to as an international drivers license) is designed to make your travels easier, eliminating potential language barriers and other problems that commonly occur when interacting with foreign traffic officers. The permit is also required by a number of rental car agencies when picking up a car rental overseas, including Auto Europe.


    How Do I Get an International Driving Permit?

    It is simple and inexpensive to get an international drivers permit. If you are over the age of 18 and have U.S.A. or Territorial Driver’s License you can apply for an international driving permit. You can apply for one in-person at an American Automobile Association (AAA) office, or order one by mail. You will need to fill out an application, provide two original passport photos, a valid U.S. driver's license, and pay a $20 USD permit fee. The IDP may not be issued more than six months in advance of desired effective date and is valid for one year.


    Where Do I Get an International Driving Permit?

    Americans traveling abroad can order an International Driving Permit online or in person through their local American Automobile Association (AAA) branch. AAA is the only certified provider for IDPs in the United States. AAA handles thousands of international drivers license applications, and they can help you get the permit that you need.


    Can I Get My IDP Online?

    If you are trying to avoid going out to your local AAA, don't worry - your IDP can be purchased online. However it is important to remember that there are many scam artists out there waiting to take advantage of you. You should obtain your license from only one place, the American Automobile Association (AAA). To obtain an international drivers license online you will need to complete an application, provide two passport photos, and submit a payment for the license. After the application process your IDP will be sent to you in the mail. Allow sufficient time for the processing of the international drivers permit online, as well as time for the permit to arrive in the mail.


    Where Can I Apply for my IDP?

    There is only one provider for International Driving Permits in the United States, the American Automobile Association (AAA). Fortunately they have AAA offices all over the country. IDPs can be obtained online or in person.


    What is the IDP Application?

    Obtaining an International Driving Permit requires that you complete a short application. If you are over the age of 18 and have a U.S.A. or Territorial Driver’s License you can apply for an international driving permit. The application covers basic identity questions - name, address, D.O.B, and domestic driver's license number along with additional personal information. There is a $20 fee that must accompany the application. Cash is not accepted for the cost of the application and license, but you can pay with a money order, check, or a credit card.