What is a One-Way Car Rental?
When renting a car for travel, there are generally two types of rentals: one-way car rentals and two-way car rentals. When you book a one-way car rental
, you'll be dropping off your rental car somewhere other than the area where the car was rented at. As a result, the car is rented for a one-way trip and it can be dropped off and left at the final destination. With that being said, there are also two methods of one-way car rental: international and domestic. Domestic trips can either have a car rental fee
or the fee can be waived due to partnerships the rental company has with other suppliers. International one-way rentals almost universally have a fee associated with them, but not always!
Given the fact that the rental company will have to go through the expense of returning a vehicle to the original location after a one-way drop-off occurs, it is no surprise that it is more expensive to travel in this way. The extra fees can very easily eat into your travel budget, but it's hard to beat the convenience of a one-way car rental. Typically, there are two types of fees that are associated with this type of rental. There is a drop-off surcharge, which is a penalty that is charged by some companies simply for dropping off the vehicle in a different location than the one you rented it at. In addition, the base rate for the rental vehicle is generally higher for one-way van rentals
or car rentals than it is for round trips. Both of these can significantly impact the price that you pay for your rental vehicle.
Tips for Getting the Best One-Way Car Rental Deals
Finding good car rental deals
can be difficult. Even so, there are a few tips and tricks that you can apply which will get you a good deal every time:
- This is clearly the first and the best option for finding a good deal under any circumstance. This is a stage in which you will compare the one-way rental fees and prices for multiple companies. Some will likely have lower prices per mile, some will offer specials, and some may have reduced fees for the drop-off of the vehicle. Utilizing a car rental broker, like Auto Europe
, streamlines this process and helps you get car rental comparisons as quickly and easily as possible.
Car rental coupons and discount codes
- The use of car rental coupons and discount codes are one of the best ways to save on rental vehicles. Every company will typically offer car rental deals during certain times of the year. The average price that will be taken off of the total cost of the bill is typically somewhere in the ballpark of around twenty-five dollars, but every little bit counts. Check the website for your car rental company of choice and look around for deals. It also never hurts to call and ask if there are any specials going on or if there are other car rental coupons available for immediate use. AAA and AARP member should check out our informative pages on car rental discount
- During some times of the year, many car rental companies are looking to move their stock of vehicles and their inventory across countries or even internationally. It pays dividends to look for deals in this way. Signing up for car rental e-mail offers
is one way to stay on top of what seasonal car rental coupons happen to be circulating during the time frame when you will be traveling.
Choose your vehicle wisely
- Picking your car rental wisely can be extremely important. The type and size of the vehicle
will play a huge role in the determination of the base rate for your rental. It will also have a large effect on the gas mileage that the vehicle gets. Look for a small and compact vehicle that does not use as much gas as some of the larger models. This would be a good opportunity to try out a hybrid if any are available at the rental company. The less you spend on gas and the less your base-rate for the rental is, the more money you will be saving in the long run. This can help offset the drop-off surcharge.
- Using car rental program points can save you a ton of money. This is going to work best if you are a person who needs to rent cars frequently. Some travel companies also encourage clients to sign up for credit card programs in order to start accumulating points. Although this is not a one-size fits all solution to finding the best car rental deals, opening a credit card with a trusted company
can open the door for future savings. Accumulating points through company rental programs is a simple process and takes place automatically once you have been enrolled. The issue with this is that sometimes you are unable to use the car insurance through your credit card if you choose to go this route, so it is a tradeoff.
- Another way to save yourself some money is to find a company that does not charge a surcharge for dropping off the car at a different location. With international travel, this can be difficult, but not impossible. Car rental companies like Auto Europe play a role here because in some instances, we are able to work with our car rental suppliers
and help negotiate lower drop-off rates, or sometimes even eliminate them to altogether. Usually drop-off fees depend on the type of vehicle you'll be renting, and other car rental deals that we have worked in your agreement. With some surcharges adding hundreds of dollars onto the bill, avoiding them is a great way to save money and start enjoying the open road!
Final Recommendations for Getting the Best One-Way Car Rental Deals
Whether you are traveling to a domestic location or you are renting a car for international travel
, applying the tips and tricks found here will allow you to utilize a one-way car rental in your travels without breaking the bank. This will provide extra room in your budget for sightseeing and may even provide a means by which you can extend your travels.Reference these helpful tips, and you should be able to easily find a car rental that is cheap enough to get you where you need to go without breaking your bank! With an array of pick-up and drop-off locations, ranging from downtown offices to convenient airport locations
, Auto Europe makes arranging one-way car rentals around the world easier than ever before. Take advantage of our price match guarantee
and book your next one-way car rental with Auto Europe in three, easy steps, or call us toll-free 24/7 at 1-888-223-5555.