Auto Europe

  • Contact Our Reservation Specialists


    Car Rentals Worldwide
    Alamo Rental Car
    Avis Car Rental
    Budget Rental Car
    Dollar Car Rental
    National Car Rental
    Sixt Rent a Car
    Car Rentals Worldwide

    Do I Need an International Driving Permit in Europe?

    An International Driving Permit is the correct title for what is sometimes referred to as an international drivers license. It is basically a translation of your own drivers license into the most common languages in the world, including German, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian. It is not a stand alone document, as it is only accepted with your original license. The International Drivers Permit can be extremely helpful in the event that you are pulled over for a traffic infringement, or you need extra identification for any reason. If the person asking for your IDP doesn't speak a word of English, having an international drivers license will tell them what your license says about you - sometimes allowing you to avoid delays or other issues while traveling abroad.

    Where can I get an International Drivers Permit?

    International Driver's PermitCurrently, there is only one place for US licensed drivers to get an International Drivers Permits. They can be obtained from American Automobile Association (AAA). There are many places online that offer translated licenses, but AAA is the only certified provider by the US State Department to issue them. If you are planning on traveling to Europe, it is extremely helpful to obtain one, and the cost is low - you can expect to pay no more than $20 for an international drivers permit. In some locations it is mandatory to carry an IDP in order to rent a car. There are also instances where you can be fined for not having one should you be pulled over by the police. Contact Auto Europe to find out if carrying an international drivers license is mandatory for your particular car rental by calling us at 1-888-223-5555.

    Check out our International Driver's License FAQ