Right before the holidays, getting away can sometimes be the most relaxing thing a person can do. With snow on the ground in most of the continent, open ski resorts, and cheaper travel, the off season provides all of the beauty of Europe at a much cheaper price. To help you decide where to go, we chose the best European cities to visit in November.
1. Athens, Greece - With cooler weather and fewer tourists overtaking the city, capturing that perfect Parthenon photo isn't as difficult. All the summer stresses like crowds, higher prices, intense heat, and long lines more or less disappear. It's the best time to explore the country's ancient heritage and to experience local culture. After you've stopped and seen the Acropolis, Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the National Archaeological Museum, pull your Athens rental car over and take a break at the well-known Bet Café for some Greek Coffee.
2. Budapest, Hungary - A beautiful and snowy destination, ice skating at Budapest's main skating rink, one of the largest outdoor skating rink in Europe, is a must. Afterwards, relax in one of the historic thermal baths Budapest is so famous for; the baths definitely help make Budapest one of the best places to visit in Europe in November. If you are feeling adventurous, visit Széchenyi Baths and immerse yourself in the steaming hot water in one of the outdoor pools with a mulled wine in hand.
3. Copenhagen, Denmark - For a fairytale European winter, it's hard to beat the home of Hans Christian Andersen. Head to one of the city's cozy bars or cafes to watch the snow fall outside, and see why it made our list of the best European cities to visit in November. In the heart of the town, the 19th-century Tivoli Amusement Park is a romantic delight with heartwarming illuminations and body-warming mugs of glögg. Copenhagen also features a blend of modern architecture and historical artifacts, such as the Round Tower Observatory, art galleries, narrow streets, canals, parks, and stunning Baroque churches, so get a Copenhagen rental car to make sure you can take it all in.
4. Venice, Italy - If you can imagine yourself floating down a canal in a gondola while taking in the beautiful scenery, then Venice is for you. Undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Europe in November, this romantic and upbeat city is known for its artwork and architecture. With shorter lines and cheaper prices during the off season, take a day to check out St. Mark's Square and The Correr Museum, or head to Murano Island to watch glass-blowing demonstrations. For food, try a specialty of Venice, Risi i Bisi, a simple dish made with a unique combination of soup and thick risotto that is common in most restaurants and homes.
5. Edinburgh, Scotland - Towards the end of the year, the winding streets, stunning castles, and beautiful Princes Street Gardens transform into a winter wonderland, making Edinburgh a city definitely worth the visit in winter. There is nothing more charming than ice skating in the center of one of Europe's oldest cities and wandering through Edinburgh Castle as the snow slowly falls. Be sure to take your Edinburgh rental car to check out the highlands, which are exquisite in winter, or take a snowy stroll while soaking up unparalleled views. With so much to do, it's easy to see why Edinburgh is one of the best European cities to visit in November.
Whether you're into shredding the slopes or strolling through quaint cobblestone streets, Europe has plenty to offer in the winter. Don't be bogged down by the cold; take advantage of your weekends and vacation time and try something you otherwise couldn't do in your own city. We hope our list of the best places to visit in Europe in November inspires an amazing trip!