Not only a great--and cheaper--time to hit the slopes, February is also the perfect month to see winter charm and the lights of beautiful cities that are wrapping up the holidays. Whether you are looking for romance or adventure, we've come up with the five best European cities to visit in February.
1. Brasov, Romania - An excellent European city ideally located in the heart of the mountains, Brasov is an eclectic and historical place. Featuring the narrowest street in Europe (Rope Street), a plethora of towers, bastions, and cathedrals, first-class architecture, an animated lifestyle, and the most beautiful landscapes in the country, Brasov is a stylish city with something for everyone. Famous for its sparkling nightlife, its lovely medieval design, and its picture-perfect setting near Romania's finest alpine resorts, renting a car in Brasov is the best choice for mountain enthusiasts, party goers, culture aficionados, and everyone in between so you can take in all there is to do!
2. Minsk, Belarus - The capital of Belarus, this city boasts 16 museums, 11 theaters, and 139 libraries, including the National Library of Belarus, whose collections are housed in a towering glass geometric ball. As a city that is never dull, it is undoubtedly one of best places to visit in Europe in February. Be sure to check out the National Opera and Ballet, The National Art Museum, or the Botanical Gardens during your stay. Afterwards, stop in at the Grand Café for a wonderful cup of coffee.
3. Skopje, Republic of Macedonia - Another one of best places to visit in Europe in February, Skopje is a very attractive tourist destination, thanks to its fortress, cultural and historical monuments, archaeological sites, sport halls, caves near the River Treska and Lake Matka, and a health spa in the eastern part of the city. Be sure to check out the Old Bazaar, The Kale Fortress, the Millennium Cross, and the Memorial House of Mother Theresa. Beautiful in the wintertime, the bright houses are still covered in snow and are truly a site to see.
4. Naples, Italy - Just a two-hour drive from Rome, Naples is known for its thin crust pizza and the world's best opera and theatre house. The Bourbon Tunnel is an amazing underground experience that everyone should see at least once, and the Gesu Nuovo Church will leave you amazed. With its waterfront views, beautiful winter traditions, and interesting history, Naples is an easy choice for the best places to visit in Europe in February. You can take your Naples rental car to the ancient Roman ruins of Pompeii during your trip as well.
5. Paris, France - We can't leave Paris off of the list of the best European cities to visit in February; it is, after all, the month of romance. With snow still on the ground and cafés serving the best warm drinks, there are so many romantic things to do in Paris on or around Valentine's Day. The city is festive and warm despite the chilly temperatures. The city also provides colorful events for the single folks as well; check out the Chinese New Year celebrations, when processions of vibrant dragons and dancers bring the streets of southern Paris alive. If you feel nervous about driving in Paris, read our travel guide about driving in Paris to prepare yourself for an amazing trip!
Although it may be chilly, traveling during the off season is well worth it because of the discounts you can find on plane tickets, hotels, and admission fees. Plus, with a warm drink and books to read, you can café hop like many of the locals do during the colder months. Our list of best European cities to visit in February will surely make a great vacation!