Rental Car Age Requirements
Rental Car Age Requirements & Restrictions
Regardless of where you are looking to travel, rental car age requirements and restrictions may affect the cost of your vehicle reservation. This is especially true for those looking to rent a car under 25 because many rental suppliers will set strict rental car age limits or charge an additional daily fee known as a young driver surcharge. These age limits will vary depending on where and who you plan to rent your car with, so it's best to keep yourself informed and in control of all your local car rental fees.
A less common rental car age requirement is a maximum age limit that will sometimes prevent older senior drivers from renting a car. These limits typically affect drivers 75 and older, but individual rental suppliers can set these rental car age requirements and restrictions at their own discretion. The good news for senior citizens is that these rules are uncommon in most European countries, but it's still always best to be aware of potential age limits that can affect your trip abroad!
Rent a Car Age Chart
Use the chart below to gather some quick info on rent a car age limits for the country you plan on visiting. Remember that rules may vary depending on the location and rental supplier you choose, but specific terms and conditions will always be listed in your car rental contract.
Jump to: France | Germany | Ireland | Italy | Spain | UK
Back to Top
Rental Car Age Requirement Facts
- Rental car age requirements are determined independently. Car rentals for 18 year olds are possible, and even though the minimum legal driving age in most European countries is younger than 18, each respective car rental company can choose who they will or will not rent to and can set their own rules and restrictions.
- Car rental age limits are based on the terms and conditions from the country you rent in. The only car rental age restrictions that will apply to you will be detailed in the terms and conditions of your rental contract, but national laws will still apply if you plan on driving to dfferent countries. Always be sure to read up on driving laws in any country you intend on visiting and give prior notice to Auto Europe if you plan on driving a rental car internationally.
- Young driver surcharges are incurred by rental suppliers and paid locally. If your age requires you to pay an additional fee according to the terms and conditions of your rental car contract, the additional amount will not be included in your pre-paid rate with Auto Europe and will need to be paid locally at the rental desk when you pick up your vehicle.
- Rental car age restrictions may require you to purchase insurance. If you are a senior driver or younger driver, particularly those looking to rent a car under 21, you may be required to purchase an inclusive rate rather than opting for a basic rate or using insurance provided by a credit card.
- Car rental age requirements may restrict you from renting certain vehicles. Many rental companies will set higher age limits for specialty and luxury vehicles. Vehicles in the economy and compact classes will always have the fewest age-related restrictions.
Always enter the correct age of the primary driver when booking with Auto Europe, and we'll be sure to inform you of any restrictions that may apply to your rental. Remember that our agents are waiting to assist you with whatever questions you may have, on call 24/7 and toll-free at 1-888-223-5555. You'll never have to be confused about rental car age requirements when you book with Auto Europe, and we'll also help you get the best rates in the industry, with everything from special promotions to AARP travel discounts and beyond!
Back to Top