They say October is the best time to travel thanks to the changing of seasons, beautiful colors, and the temperate weather; during this month, you can find anything from a relaxing getaway to an adventurous trip. We've come up with the five best places to visit in Europe in October that you are sure to love.
1. Florence, Italy - As one of the most popular travel destinations, there are so many reasons why Florence makes one of the best European cities to visit in October. Florence has countless galleries, the most famous of which is the Galleria dell'Accademia that houses Michelangelo's works, and it also has lush gardens, including Biboli and Botanical Gardens, which both feature beautiful sculptures and lavish fountains. With so much to do, you'll be sure never to have a dull moment in Florence. If shopping and vino is more of your go-to activity, stroll through the downtown and stop at Milliesimi for one of the finest red wines around.
2. Madrid, Spain - As the largest city in Spain, this eclectic and versatile place explodes with colors, making it one of the best places to visit in Europe in October. So many of Madrid's buildings look like castles that you'll think you've stumbled into a fairytale. Even the City Hall is astounding, with its white pinnacles and neo-Gothic features. Be sure to walk by the Sorrella Museum, which boasts some of Spain's finest paintings, and stop for some Café Suizo (strong coffee topped with whipped cream) or a Spanish Carajillo (coffee spiked with brandy or whiskey). As a bonus, fall in Madrid has beautiful weather, perfect for seeing all the sites.
3. Paris, France - Magnetic, romantic, and busy, Paris truly has it all. As one of the best European cities to visit in October, it's no wonder that thousands of people visit this time of year. With school having started, most tourists can more easily maneuver around the Eifel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, or Notre Dame Cathedral during the early afternoon with a Paris rental car. For a quaint shopping experience, be sure to walk around the famous farmers' market, Marché Biologique Raspail, then top it all off with a risqué show at the Moulin Rouge.
4. Basel, Switzerland - Home to 40 museums, the refined city of Basel has the highest concentration of museums in the country. Basel also has a beautiful Old Town, modern architecture, and the Rhine, which is an inviting spot to rest a while. With perfect temperatures at this time of the year, you can walk around the botanical or zoological gardens that are open to the public. In October, be sure to attend the Swiss Indoors Basel, which is the biggest national sports event and one of the most important indoor tennis tournaments in the world.
5. Munich, Germany - We had to add Munich to the best places to visit in Europe in October because the drinking is downright legendary during Oktoberfest. A celebration of local beers and German specialty foods held in the first week of October, the tradition has been around since 1810. After some good beer, head to the Marienplatz, the historical main square in Munich. It is dominated by the neo-Gothic New Town Hall and contains the Glockenspiel, one of the largest carillons in Europe. Your travel wouldn't be complete without renting a car in Munich and making the short trip to the Bavarian Alps. Why not spend a couple hours in the mountains of Berchtesgaden National Park to complete your trip?
As you make your fall travel plans, we hope that our top five best places to visit in Europe in October inspire and motivate you. From Madrid to Munich, you truly can't go wrong!