With some of the best weather you can get just before the peak season, June brings smaller crowds and reasonable prices. The earlier you travel during the month the better because, as the month inches near July, the crowds will come! To make planning your trip easier, here is our list of the top five best European cities to visit in June.
1. Lugano, Switzerland - As the largest town in the region of Ticino, Lugano is not only Switzerland's third most important financial, banking, and business center, but it's also a town of parks and flowers, villas, and sacred buildings. With Mediterranean flair, Lugano offers all the advantages of a world-class city combined with the air of a small town. Ride a cable car up Monte San Salvatore or Monte Bre for sunny panoramas of lake, rivers, mountains, and red-roofed buildings. Explore the town's churches, cathedrals, and the expressive and colorful Piazza della Riforma. To end the day, try some slow-cooked Ticinese cuisine and cruise around in your Lugano rental car to take in the incredible views.
2. Zadar, Croatia - If you're looking for adventure outdoors during the summer, Zadar is the perfect vacation destination. In this port city, the water is always stunning and offers many activities like boating, swimming, or kayaking. An obvious choice for our list of the best places to visit in Europe in June, it's impossible to become bored in this city. Check out Paklencia National Park for some great hiking, or walk through the Museum of Ancient Glass. Relax afterwards at the famous Garden Zardar that not only has a great view but also a cozy atmosphere.
3. Sintra, Portugal - Set between the mountains and the sea, waiting to be discovered by all who dare to lose themselves in its majestic historical heritage, simple nature, cultural, and historical architecture. Sunny and bright in June, it's the perfect time to explore all of the castles and sites in the city. Start with the National Palace of Pena, which is as grand as it sounds, the Castle of the Moors, and the National Palace of Sintra to feel like royalty. One of the many walking tours is always available, but a Portugal car rental may be best to get around in the bustling city.
4. Santorini, Greece - This small, crescent shaped island off of Greece is widely considered one of the best hidden vacation spots, which is why is made our list of the best European cities to visit in June. Don't let the crowds on this tiny landmass deter you; the views are incredible from every side and well worth it. With gorgeous beaches, ancient cities, and amazing restaurants, you'll see jewel-like blue and sparkling white all around you. Walk around downtown and shop, or enjoy a meal at Ginger, a sushi restaurant owned by Greek-Americans Ted and Dina Stathis.
5. Lofoten, Norway - Looking for adventure along with some temperature anomalies? The Lofoten Islands avoid the weather trends that Greenland and Alaska experience, giving its residents mild weather all year round. Lofoten is known for its peaceful atmosphere, breathtaking scenery, and picturesque cabins. While there, take a nature safari, visit the Lofotr Viking Museum, or try kayaking if you're feeling up to it, and rent a car in Norway to make doing it all that much easier. The beauty of this place is simply staggering! To end the day, stop in at Bryggebaren Pub for a cold drink.
Europe boasts some of the best vacation destinations in the world, and June is one of the most popular months to travel. Be sure to expect some buzz in the major cities, but if you travel now, you should avoid the overwhelming crowds that the late summer brings. We hope our list of the best places to visit in Europe in June motivate those wishing to get away!