Europe is alive and bustling in August, the most popular month to travel around the continent. There is something pretty amazing about how many people travel in August each year, and with our list of best European cities to visit in August list, you'll be able to find out why!
1. Berlin, Germany - Unlike most other European countries, Germany still operates as usual while everyone else is taking school vacation. This means no mass shutdowns of museums, shops, or restaurants, making it a good time to visit a hot spot like the capital city of Berlin. Check out the Weltzeituhr Clock, topped by a model of the solar system, then turn back time by dining at the historic Zur Letzten Instanz, a 16th-century restaurant that was frequented by Napoleon and Beethoven. With so many interesting museums, like the Berlin Wall Museum, the Bode Museum, and the Pergamon Museum, you'll never have a dull moment!
2. Edinburgh, Scotland - To escape the summer heat and still be in one of Europe's more alluring destinations, head to the Scottish highlands city of Edinburgh. August is an especially busy month for Edinburgh as the city comes alive with many different festivals known collectively as the Edinburgh Festival. Said to be the biggest arts festival in the world, the population of the city doubles during this time, and the streets teem with life. It was an easy decision to add this buzzing city to our list of the best places to visit in Europe in August, and you should check out our Scotland travel guide before you leave for more on Scotland's weather, driving tips, and must-see activities.
3. Sofia, Bulgaria - As one of Europe's oldest cities, it's worth braving the crowds for a piece of the city in peak weather. Wide cobblestone boulevards, charming boutiques, and truly electrifying nightlife are the stars of this city of 1.3 million. Trolleys, trams, and buses traverse the dynamic city, but a Sofia rental car can get you where you need to go without having to deal with public transportation. For a little relaxation, take a day trip with your rental car over to Vitosha Mountain, but make sure to stay hydrated! At the end of the day, settle in at the Tea House for a cold drink and simple yet delicious food options.
4. Akureyri, Iceland - Escape the crowds and explore more remote areas like Akureyri in the summer, when the craggy roads are easier to navigate and small villages spring to life. This quint town has to be mentioned when talking about the best European cities to visit in August. As the second largest urban area in the country, there is plenty to do! Visit the Museum of Industry, the unforgettable DavÝsh˙s (the museum and home of the late poet DavÝ Stefßnsson), or the lystigarurinn (arctic botanical gardens.) Afterwards, cozy up with a book and cup of dark roasted coffee.
5. Corsica, France - A lesser known tourist destination, this island is as romantic as it is delightful. Easily making it onto our list of best places to visit in Europe in August, Corsica is a laid-back French island with a breezy vibe that's part European weekend and part tropical honeymoon. For a truly charming Corsica experience, drive your Ajaccio rental car through the mountains to the beach, passing by rustic villages and grazing cows along the way. Take a few hours or even a few weeks to explore the island's famous walking trails. If you need a rest, check out the famous Les Roches Bleues, which features yummy Italian and French food.
The best European cities to visit in August may be a bit busy during this summer month, but don't let that deter you from venturing out. Be sure to call ahead to reserve spots anywhere that are bound to fill up, and be sure to come prepared with water, sunscreen, and a GPS rental to help you get around!