While it may be a little too chilly to jump into the Mediterranean Sea with abandon, Europe is still an ideal spring vacation because much of the continent has blooming flowers, crisp temperatures, and residents celebrating the new season. To help you easily plan your trip, we've chosen the best European cities to visit in April.
1. Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona feels a bit surreal in the springtime, thanks to its music festivals and open sidewalk cafes. Try the famous tapas bars while sipping a glass of wine, and then visit the city's best sites, such as the Gothic Quarter, the Magic Fountain, Casa Batllo, Barcelona Cathedral, or the Barcelona Zoo. Barcelona houses some of Spain's most creative art, like Modernisme architecture and works by Miró and Dalí, as well as bohemian bars and stunning nearby getaways that make great day trips with your Barcelona rental car. As one of the best places to visit in Europe in April, you will definitely enjoy the culture and upbeat environment you find there.
2. Morzine, France - If you aren't quite ready to give up the beauty of snow, the Rhône-Alps town of Morzine is a skier's paradise. As a city that has hosted the Tour de France several times, there is adventure around every turn. With some of the best biking trails in the area, outdoor activities are a great way to spend the afternoon while seeing the beautiful chalets, wooden homes with sloping roofs that the locals use mainly for vacations. Finish it all off by stopping by Le Schuss for some tasty pizza, or Dotty's Coffee House for a warm cup of cocoa.
3. Helsinki, Finland - Sitting on the edge of the Baltic, the modern, cosmopolitan city of Helsinki has it all. The beauty of the surrounding countryside blends seamlessly with high-tech achievements and contemporary trends. Walking tours of the city center reveal layers of history, while modern architecture and cutting-edge style stake the city's claim to the future. Helsinki is undeniably one of the best European cities to visit in April, namely for its scenery and friendly people. Be sure to walk around the Design District for the best restaurants and shopping in the area.
4. Oxford, United Kingdom - Gaze out at Oxford's world-famous university from the top of Carfax Tower before heading into the city's pedestrian-friendly streets. Follow your nose to the Covered Market for an enjoyable picnic at Headington Hill Park. Mix the historic and modern with visits to the 12th-century village church of Iffley, and check out trendy Cowley's ethnic shops and music venues. Oxford, without a doubt, is one of the best places to visit in Europe in April, if only for the coffee and intellectual conversations you're sure to find yourself having. Check out our tips for driving in the UK before you travel to feel more relaxed about driving on the "other" side of the road!
5. Luxembourg City, Luxembourg - A captivating contrast of old and new, Luxembourg City's past is celebrated in its architecture and beauty. Perfect to explore with a Luxembourg City rental car, this city offers a wealth of attractions, including The Bock, underground passages in Petrusse Casemates, and the Palace of the Grand Dukes. Make sure to stop for a cup of espresso at the Golden Bean, a true coffee experience. If you have time, check out one of the many museums like the National Museum of History and Art, or stop and see a show at the Grand Théâtre de Luxembourg.
No matter where you chose to spend your vacation this month, it truly is one of the best times to travel because of the wonderful the weather and lively European people. We hope our list of best European cities to visit in April inspires an amazing trip, and with so many places to choose from, you truly can't go wrong!