Whether you are looking to find a beautiful snow-covered destination or a warmer place to hide out during the cold weather, Europe has some of the most stunning places in the world to visit during the last month of the year. Here are the top five best European cities to visit in December:
1. Nice, France - For those who are looking to get away from the frigid weather, Nice is one of the best places to visit in Europe in December. In addition to generally reduced lodging and airfare rates, winters in this French Riviera city are really pleasant and temperatures can be expected to be in the mid-50s. Pebble Beach stretches for miles along the coast, where you can breathe in the fresh Mediterranean air and get a bird's eye view of the whole city from atop Castle Hill. The pedestrians-only Place Rossetti is the heart of the city, and it has a grand fountain, vibrant buildings, and the beautiful Sainte-Réparate cathedral, giving it an eclectic feel.
2. Seville, Spain - In Spain's Andalucía province, summer temperatures in Seville can be hot to the point of unbearable, but it's one of the best European cities to visit in December, thanks to cooler temperatures and fewer crowds. Bars and restaurants will feel more spacious and hotel rates will be lower. Seville is bursting with antique charm that you are sure to love. The Alcazar palace complex is a stunning collage of architectural styles, and the cathedral will impress you with its beauty. Be sure to visit the Metropol Parasol, which is the world's largest wooden structure, a massive mix of grids and swirls that contains a market and a terrace observatory.
3. Innsbruck, Austria - The Austrian Alps peer through the skyline in this charming city, home to the 1976 Winter Olympics. Innsbruck, with an abundance of ski resorts and wintertime attractions, offers all-inclusive packages through the region's ski organization, Olympia Ski-World Innsbruck. One of Europe's most idyllic cities, Innsbruck is nestled in the heart of the Alps. An Innsbruck rental car makes getting around the city quick, efficient, and cheap. Explore the Tyrolean capital's history at Archduke Ferdinand II's 10th-century Schloss Ambras, or the Tyrolean Folk Art Museum.
4. Bled, Slovenia - Bled is one of the most popular and famous destinations in Slovenia. It is renowned for its romantic scenery, fascinating natural beauty, Bled Castle, Iglica Waterfall, and the caves under Babji Zob. You can do several activities in Bled, such as hiking, skiing, ice skating, and fishing. With its iconic fairytale church steeple perched atop the tiny rock island at the middle of Lake Bled, Bled is a sight that stays in your memory forever, and it's definitely one of the best places to visit in Europe in December, especially if you have a Bled rental car to take you around to all the best sites.
5. Abisko, Sweden - Abisko is a tiny town in Sweden known for its breathtaking national parks. It gives you the chance to enjoy different winter activities like skiing, dog sledding, ice skating, and hiking on different trails, such as Kungsleden. You can enjoy staying at the Ice Hotel, which is the first hotel in the world to be made of only ice! With only 85 inhabitants as of 2005, this northern Swedish escape is perfect for a little outdoor adventure in the snow.
From Spain to Sweden, you will surely find the perfect destination to enjoy either the snow or the sun. Now that you know the best European cities to visit in December, you can easily find your perfect December adventure!