Please choose your Country of Residence
United States
We are finding the best deals in for you.
Our prices are worth the wait.
Rental Car Search Bar




    • Pick-up Location:
      Please start typing a location and then select it from the suggested locations.
    • Pick-up Location:
      Your location could not be found. Please enter a city name or airport code to see available locations.
    • Pick-up Location:
      Please enter a pick-up location.
    • Drop-off Location:
      Please enter a drop-off location.
    • Dates:
      Please set the drop-off time to be after the pick-up time.
    • Travels to Eastern Europe:
      If you are travelling to Eastern European countries, please call us at 1-888-223-5555.
    • Sorry, there are no matching drop-off locations available. Please try a different pick-up or drop-off location or call for assistance.
    • Driver's Age:
      Please enter the driver's age.
    Auto Europe Car Rental Companies: Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise, National, Europcar, Buchbinder, Peugeot
    Apply for an International Driver's License

    Apply for an International Drivers License

    Apply for an International Drivers License

    If you are going out of the country, you should apply for an international drivers license as soon as possible. The IDL is used in conjunction with the driver's license from your country of residence. It is translated into several different languages, making it much easier to communicate with law enforcement or the local car rental desk if you aren't fluent in the local language (or even if you are). The license can come in handy in many different situations that may arise while you are traveling in a foreign country - especially if you're booking an international one-way car rental. Some countries require the permit to be carried, but most do not. It is still highly recommended that you obtain one of these low cost permits before your travel - like most things in life it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it available.

    If you plan to rent a vehicle while traveling abroad, having your international driver's permit handy will make the process easier. A few situations where this might be useful are:


    • The permit is very handy if you are stopped by law enforcement, since all of the needed information is translated into the proper language. This can avoid delays and misunderstandings.
    • An IDL can also help if you're involved in a fender-bender while driving - saving you time both at the scene and at the rental desk when you return the car.
    • It can come in handy when crossing borders in Europe - even if you speak French fluently, you may not speak German - with an IDL you're covered no matter where you go in Europe.

    These are just a few of the many instances that a permit can benefit your travel. Individuals who are traveling for business, pleasure, or for other reasons will find an international driver's license to be of great use.


    Apply for International Drivers Permit

    Where do you apply for an international drivers permit? Both the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the National Automobile Club (NAC) offer the international permit. You can choose either of these places to obtain your license. Both are authorized by the Department of Transportation to provide the license. Although you might find other organizations offering the permit online, those agencies are not authorized and could be a scam. The cost of the permit must be paid at the time of the application submittal. Do not worry, however, because the fee for the permit is very low, averaging $15 - $20.

    Apply for an International Drivers PermitThe entire IDL application must be completed, leaving no questions blank. You can submit the application in person at any AAA or NAC location. If you are outside of the country or prefer, the application can also be mailed. Once you receive your permit, it is valid for a period of one year. There are no tests required to be taken to receive your license, however, there are a couple of pieces of information that you must present. This includes a copy of your current drivers license as well as two passport photos. Auto Europe recommends that you apply for your International Drivers License well in advance of your trip.


    Learn how to Apply for International Drivers License

    When you're ready to apply for an international drivers license, give us a call to find out if the permit is required to be carried in the country that you are traveling. In addition, we can provide you with a great deal of important information about the permit, local driving laws, and we'll also gladly answer any and all questions that you might have. Our agents have over sixty years of experience and are we're happy to share our knowledge with you whether you've decided to rent a car with us or not. You can speak to someone at Auto Europe by dialing 1-888-223-5555 (toll-free) any time of the day or the night. Representatives are standing by 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for your convenience.

    Back to our FAQ

    Please choose your Country of Residence