After a 70 degree day on Thursday, we finally managed to get some snow on Saturday (check out the webcam)! While the ski areas are rejoicing, fans of warm weather are not so pleased. With what will most likely be a long, cold winter ahead, you may as well get ready to embrace the cold. Let’s face it, it’s a part of life, and if you choose to live in a cold climate, you may as well make the best of it. Here are five things you can do to stay warm and enjoy the winter just a little more!
Our 5 Favorite Things to Do in Winter
5. Snowshoeing – While we won’t have several feet of snow on the ground for a while, snowshoeing is a fun way to hike in the woods during the winter. If you’ve never been you should give it a try. Most cross country ski areas have snowshoe trails as well. If you have ever tried to walk on snow without them, you know just how handy they can be to have.
4. Skiing – To me, I don’t care if it’s downhill or cross country. It’s not the cheapest hobby in the world, but getting on the slopes in the winter really helps you appreciate nature in a way you don’t get when say, shoveling your driveway or cleaning off the car.
3. Hot Drinks – Be it cider or hot coco, who doesn’t love a nice hot beverage after freezing all day! I like to enjoy a hot toddy by the fireplace after a long day of skiing.
2. Visit Family – Even if you don’t like the commercialism fest that is Christmas, hanging up holiday decorations is a great way to bond with the family, and make some real holiday memories. Combine with #3 and watch “A Christmas Story” for full effect.
1. Take a Vacation – No matter how positive you are, there’s no better way to break up a long, cold winter than taking a vacation to some place warm. The south of Spain comes to mind as one of my warm destinations I would like to get to this winter. Where do you want to travel to stay warm?