If last year’s Mother’s Day included something like burnt pancakes and bacon, why not step in the other direction and treat mom to one of these incredible Mother’s Day weekend getaways? Whoever you are celebrating this Sunday, we hope the following places will inspire it to be a wonderful and memorable time.
- Zermatt, Switzerland – This beautiful destination is lovely and car-free, with old-fashioned brown chalets and winding alleys that any traveler is sure to appreciate. Whether your mom is up for skiing, which is still available this time of year, or sightseeing in historic Zermatt with a hot cocoa in hand, it’s a peaceful weekend vacation that she is sure to enjoy.
- Barcelona, Spain – A surreal place to visit, mom is sure to enjoy a beautiful Mother’s Day in Europe with the elegant architecture and quaint sidewalk cafés scattered throughout Barcelona. Watching flamboyant street performers is always an option, as is floating from tapas bar to tapas bar. There are also quite a few Segway and walking tours available, making it easy to see all of the Barcelona attractions in such a short amount of time. Our tip: Make sure you take mom to the Picasso Museum! Or pick up a car rental in Barcelona, and take mom on a road trip through Catalunia and Valencia!
- Savannah, Georgia, U.S.A – A quaint town with its pedestrian-friendly layout and inventive urban design, Savannah serves as a balm for the senses. With quaint cobblestone streets and shops on every corner, mom is sure to love this historic and charming city. Make sure she checks out the art exhibits downtown, or spend a couple hours of relaxation with her at Spa Bleu.
- Paris, France – Perhaps the most popular destination, Paris may be the ideal weekend trip for that special woman in your life. It’s great not only to see Paris’ major exhibits like the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe; the perfect Mother Day’s experience also includes leisurely walks along the river and breakfast at one of the many local cafés. Stop by Café de Flore, one of the favorites.
- Budapest, Hungary – One truly can’t go wrong with 118 beautiful springs all in one country. Spas, baths, and massages provide relaxation, especially as you look out at the beautiful scenery, and add up to a meditative weekend in Budapest. Be sure to visit The Hungarian State Opera House or one of the many pristine castles located in the area. Mom will definitely feel like royalty on this vacation!
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada – Montreal, vous devez visiter! Enjoy this French-speaking city while taking a horse-drawn carriage ride around the cobblestone streets and grand buildings of Vieux-Montréal that will give you a taste of European flavor. Visit a few of the quaint boutiques and cafés this weekend that mom is sure to enjoy.
- Florence, Italy – An art lover’s dream that boasts some of the best galleries in the world, Florence is definitely something to see. The Galleria dell’Accademia has works by Michelangelo, and when you’re finished there, mom can do some serious shopping in the Piazza Santo Spirito. Spending the day poolside is not out of the question and will only make this Mother’s Day weekend getaway even more incredible. For a more adventurous Mother’s Day in Europe, explore the surrounding Italian countryside on a road trip through Tuscany, stopping by the many palatial vineyards and wineries peppered throughout the country.
- Funchal, Portugal – This laid-back city is known for its appealing temperatures, tasty wine, and craft fairs. Top spots to visit include Blandy’s Wine Lodge and the Sacred Art Museum. Friendly locals, walkable streets, and delicious food will only be the beginning of a memorable weekend.
- Pattaya, Thailand – A visit to Pattaya is a wonderful way for mom to explore the beaches along the Gulf of Thailand. Relaxed and family-friendly, beaches here boast watersports and seaside massages, among other activates. The giant Buddha of Wat Khao Phra Bat keeps watch over the city and is sure to bring good luck to a trip like this one.
- Strasbourg, France – A mixture of Paris and Munich culture, this trip is bound to bring an array of German and French cuisine, as well as beautiful storybook cathedrals to explore. The 12th-century la Petite France is one of the most famous and definitely worth a visit. Give mom an adventure and a memorable Mother’s Day in Europe with some of the best wines this weekend in Strasbourg.
- Prague, Czech Republic – The avant-garde allure of Prague makes it a perfect destination for moms who want to immerse themselves in culture and scenic beauty. She can spend practically all day exploring the famous castle Prazsky Hrad or see the sites at the Old Town Hall and the Astronomical Clock. Be sure she eats dinner at one of the many taverns or coffeehouses, like Café Slavia.
- Spa, Belgium – The name alone says it all: this destination will be nothing but relaxation for mom! Often referred to as the “Pearl of the Ardennes,” Spa is an attractive Belgian town in a wooded valley surrounded by undulating hills and countless rivers and springs. Be sure mom checks out Les Thermes De Spa, which is a newly renovated health resort with over a dozen saunas and pools to try out.
Make the Most of your Mother’s Day Weekend Getaways with Auto Europe
Cards and flowers are always welcome, but to truly amaze your mother this year, we hope these vacation ideas inspire. Of course, Mother’s Day weekend getaways are available anytime of the year, but what better way to celebrate mom then giving her an adventure she will always remember.
When you’re ready to travel the world with mom, give Auto Europe a call, toll-free at 1-888-223-5555, to reserve your family car rental, book international airfare, and find hotel accommodations. With over 60 years as a travel industry leader, Auto Europe can help you with all your travel needs, from the vacation planning process, to during-your-trip customer service.